linux freez on 3 Poweredge R310

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 6 12:54:55 CDT 2012

Quoting Francesco Andreozzi <francesco.andreozzi at proxime.it>:

> Hi all,
> I'm writing to the list because i have a serious problem on some
> Poweredge R310 server.

I run CentOS 5.x and 6.x on them without issue.

> On this server it is install debian 6 , kernel 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
> Nothing specially running on this server, some php script and a rrd
> files.

There is a known problem with the Ubuntu and SUSE kernels, which
probably means
that it also exists with the debian kernels.

> Problem happen on all 3 server, randomly and without any crash
> information, just freeze... nothing on the console. Crash happen in just
> one day or sometimes after 2 or 3 days... but 3 server... so every day I
> have a crash!

Kernel problem.  Change back to an older kernel, or google for this
problem and see what you find out.

> I suppose there are some incompatibility due to 32bit OS version.

No, I think it is just a (or several) bad kernels which cause this.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!