R910/MD3200/CentOS5.4: the server can not find the disk array

Yonglin Hu yonglinhu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 04:18:42 CDT 2011

Hi there,

I have been trying to connect an MD3200 to an R910 running Rocks Cluster
5.4 (CentOS 5.4 based). I could see and manage MD3200 from the
Dell-provided software (SMclient), but I could not connect to it.

The "command multipath -ll" does not return anything, "multipath -ll
-v3" returns the following:

===== paths list =====
uuid hcil     dev dev_t pri dm_st  chk_st  vend/prod/rev
      0:2:0:0  sda 8:0   0   [undef][ready] DELL,PERC 6/i
      0:2:1:0  sdb 8:16  0   [undef][ready] DELL,PERC 6/i
      3:0:0:31 sdc 8:32  0   [undef][ready] DELL,Universal Xport
      3:0:1:31 sdd 8:48  0   [undef][ready] DELL,Universal Xport
      4:0:0:31 sde 8:64  0   [undef][ready] DELL,Universal Xport
      4:0:1:31 sdf 8:80  0   [undef][ready] DELL,Universal Xport

The content of my /proc/scsi/scsi is:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 32 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DP       Model: BACKPLANE        Rev: 1.07
   Type:   Enclosure                        ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC 6/i         Rev: 1.22
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC 6/i         Rev: 1.22
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: TEAC     Model: DVD-ROM DV-28SW  Rev: R.2A
   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 31
   Vendor: DELL     Model: Universal Xport  Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 31
   Vendor: DELL     Model: Universal Xport  Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 31
   Vendor: DELL     Model: Universal Xport  Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 31
   Vendor: DELL     Model: Universal Xport  Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: MD32xx           Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: MD32xx           Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: MD32xx           Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: MD32xx           Rev: 0775
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Based on /proc/scsi/scsi, the server does see MD3200, but I don't know
why multipath does not see it?

My multipath.conf was produced by Dell installation software:

blacklist {
         device {
                 vendor  "*"
                 product "Universal Xport"
         }
}
defaults {
         user_friendly_names yes
         max_fds             8192
}
devices {
         device {
                 vendor                "DELL"
                 product               "MD32xxi"
                 path_grouping_policy  group_by_prio
                 prio                  rdac
                 polling_interval      5
                 path_checker          rdac
                 path-selector         "round-robin 0"
                 hardware_handler      "1 rdac"
                 failback              immediate
                 features              "2 pg_init_retries 50"
                 no_path_retry         30
                 rr_min_io             100
                 prio_callout          "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac /dev/%n"
         }
         device {
                 vendor                "DELL"
                 product               "MD32xx"
                 path_grouping_policy  group_by_prio
                 prio                  rdac
                 polling_interval      5
                 path_checker          rdac
                 path-selector         "round-robin 0"
                 hardware_handler      "1 rdac"
                 failback              immediate
                 features              "2 pg_init_retries 50"
                 no_path_retry         30
                 rr_min_io             100
                 prio_callout          "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac /dev/%n"
         }
         device {
                 vendor                "DELL"
                 product               "MD36xxi"
                 path_grouping_policy  group_by_prio
                 prio                  rdac
                 polling_interval      5
                 path_checker          rdac
                 path-selector         "round-robin 0"
                 hardware_handler      "1 rdac"
                 failback              immediate
                 features              "2 pg_init_retries 50"
                 no_path_retry         30
                 rr_min_io             100
                 prio_callout          "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac /dev/%n"
         }
}

Could someone enlighten me on this? I am totally new to MD3200
management, I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Best,

Yonglin