Monitoring PE2950 Status with ESXi?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Wed Jul 13 13:10:11 CDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:15:17 -0700, Steve Jenkins wrote
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Mark Rolen <mrolen at opubco.com> wrote:
> > We're having very good luck with the check_esxi_hardware.py plugin for
> > Nagios (uses WBEM, so nothing to install on ESXi).  Gives you alerts on
> > fans, disk, power supplies, etc.  It just alerted us on a predictive
> > failure for a disk in one of our R900s yesterday.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
>
> Thanks for everyone's excellent feedback. We've grown very accustomed
> to having Nagios monitor everything through the check_openmanage
> plugin, which does EXACTLY what we want and has saved our bacon a few
> times with failing DIMMs, early drive and array failure predictions,
> etc. We're also very happy with how we've configured Nagios to only
> page us in the middle of the night for the IMPORTANT stuff, while the
> minor stuff (like a 20% disk space remaining warning) can wait until
> "work hours," and generally just tweaked our monitoring platform to
> our liking, so I was really looking for something that will provide
> very similar functionality without having to relearn or redeploy a
> bunch of stuff.
>
> The check_esxi_hardware plugin looks promising. I'll definitely check
> that out. As a worst case, my thought is that we could run a minimal
> install CentOS 6 server as VBox or VMWare host, run nothing but OMSA
> and the Nagios NRPE interface on the host server, then launch all our
> guests from that platform.
>
> In general, those using VMWare (ESX or ESXi) - are you happy with
> performance and compatibility on the PowerEdges? I've been
> experimenting with virtualization for the past few months using Oracle
> VirtualBox as the host system on a number of different PowerEdges -
> including a dinosaur 2450 (which actually worked... VERY slowly). But
> for a production environment, we're thinking we should go with
> something "industrial strength."
>
> SteveJ

> --
> believed to be clean.

We've recently installed ESXi 4.1 on a couple of new R700s, and are also interested in
running OMSA on them, as we have the OMSA/Nagios tandem working extremely well on
several non-virtualhost machines.  Googling seems to bring up a number of posts on the
process of installing OMSA on ESXi, not the least of which is one from the Dell
TechCenter:  http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Install+and+Configure+OMSA+on+ESX (well,
OK, that's for ESX, but ...).  Another is:
http://samdecker.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/esxi41anddellomsa63/.  Of course, your search
will find still more.

We've not tried any of these yet, so we can't vouch for their veracity.  Other posters
have suggested some interesting alternatives, though.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.