Monitoring PE2950 Status with ESXi?

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Wed Jul 13 01:46:13 CDT 2011

Hello, We do have OpenManage support w.r.t VMware ESXi. you can install the OpenManage agent on ESXi to enable management of the complete hardware.

Refer "Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Installation Guide" @ http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smsom/6.5/en/index.htm to know more about installation of agents, enabling traps etc.

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Steve Jenkins
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:58 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Monitoring PE2950 Status with ESXi?
Currently, we're running a number of PowerEdge boxes (1850s - 2950s)
with CentOS 5.6 and OMSA 6.5. We use one of the boxes as a Nagios
server, which uses NRPE to run the check_openmanage script. This setup
has been great for getting alerts about RAID array status, temperature
warnings, and anything else that OMSA monitors.

However, we're evaluating using our 2950s to run VMWare ESXi 5. But
we're afraid that by running ESXi as the host platform, we'll lose the
ability to monitor everything that OMSA monitors.

I know there must be at least thousands of Dell PowerEdges out there
running ESXi. Is there a way to still monitor the Dell hardware and
get alerts in a manner that is comparable to how we're doing it now?

Thanks,

SteveJ