omreport and RAID "progress"

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 10:46:34 CDT 2011

I've just started using Dell servers again after a break of a few years.
Previously, with a 2950 running OMSA 5.5 I could see this:

# omreport storage vdisk controller=0
Virtual Disk 0 on Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)
ID           : 0
Status       : Ok
Name         : Virtual Disk 0
State        : Ready
Progress     : Not Applicable			<------ note this line
Layout       : RAID-5
Size         : 338.75 GB (363730042880 bytes)
Device Name  : /dev/sda
Type         : SAS
Read Policy  : Adaptive Read Ahead
Write Policy : Write Back
Cache Policy : Not Applicable
Stripe Size  : 64 KB

I've just been handed some R710 servers and have installed OMSA 6.5 on them.
The same command now gives me:

# omreport storage vdisk controller=0
Virtual Disk 0 on Controller PERC H700 Integrated (Embedded)

Controller PERC H700 Integrated (Embedded)
ID                  : 0
Status              : Ok
Name                : Virtual Disk 0
State               : Ready
Encrypted           : No
Layout              : RAID-1
Size                : 136.13 GB (146163105792 bytes)
Device Name         : /dev/sda
Bus Protocol        : SAS
Media               : HDD
Read Policy         : Adaptive Read Ahead
Write Policy        : Write Back
Cache Policy        : Not Applicable
Stripe Element Size : 64 KB
Disk Cache Policy   : Disabled

My question is, "where has the Progress line gone?"  How are we supposed to
tell how far along a RAID rebuild is?  Does it go into the State line now,
or is it only visible in the output of "omreport storage adisk controller=0"
for the array disk which was replaced?

I'm writing a script to extract certain lines from omreport with the "-fmt
ssv" options and it would be good to know what lines I should be searching
for!

With thanks,

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.