Monitoring non-Dell drives with OMSA?

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 31 18:59:27 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:

>> We have 32 x PE1950, plus 34 x R410, and have another 42 R410 on order.
>> All servers have (the balance of) a 3-year warranty.
>>
>> Each server has 4 x 146GB 2.5" SAS drives configured in RAID10.
>>
>> As you might imagine, with that many spindles we get regular failures.
>> It's no biggie - we just create an incident with Dell and get a
>> replacement sent to the DC, where it is fitted and the failed drive sent
>> back.
>>
>> I want to buy a few spare drives to keep at the DC to use when we have
>> drive failures to reduce the time we have to run degraded.
>>
>> So, I've got prices for Dell drives and equivalent Seagate drives:
>>
>> Dell: $199, inc. drive tray
>> Seagate: $188
>>
>> Now, that doesn't seem too bad, until you find out that the Seagate
>> drives come with a 5-year warranty as standard but the Dell drives only
>> come with a *1-year* warranty as standard!! If it weren't for that, I'd
>> go for the Dells as it keeps a single point-of-contact for all
>> replacements. But I can't go for hard drives with just 1 year of warranty.
>>
>> Now, if I do go with non-Dell drives, I'll still need to monitor them
>> for failure. Does anyone know if OMSA is capable of monitoring non-Dell
>> drives? If not, can can Seagate drives be flashed with Dell firmware?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight...
>
> If you don't mention that the failed drive is a "one-year item" from Dell,
> it is covered by your 3-year warranty.
> Maybe too if you buy Seagate drives at second source.
>
> But my question is: why didn't you choose originally the 5-year warranty
> from Dell?
> You can get it, even if not choosable in the web interface.

And/or try to get an advertise for drives without tray - I am currently
struggling for an empty 3,5" tray for R710 which can accept a 2,5" SATA
SSD - Dell can't deliver what I want (at least my sales representative is
too much straightened to really understand & act properly - I know it
would be possible if I would know the part number), and the proper drive
tray with 160 GB SATA disk (to throw away for me) shall cost me 160 Euros
plus tax.
So the trays are costly - ask to go without.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:           Prof. Dr. Bernhard Neumair
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Kfm. Markus Hoppe
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598