Monitoring non-Dell drives with OMSA?

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 31 18:46:07 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:

> We have 32 x PE1950, plus 34 x R410, and have another 42 R410 on order.
> All servers have (the balance of) a 3-year warranty.
>
> Each server has 4 x 146GB 2.5" SAS drives configured in RAID10.
>
> As you might imagine, with that many spindles we get regular failures.
> It's no biggie - we just create an incident with Dell and get a
> replacement sent to the DC, where it is fitted and the failed drive sent
> back.
>
> I want to buy a few spare drives to keep at the DC to use when we have
> drive failures to reduce the time we have to run degraded.
>
> So, I've got prices for Dell drives and equivalent Seagate drives:
>
> Dell: $199, inc. drive tray
> Seagate: $188
>
> Now, that doesn't seem too bad, until you find out that the Seagate
> drives come with a 5-year warranty as standard but the Dell drives only
> come with a *1-year* warranty as standard!! If it weren't for that, I'd
> go for the Dells as it keeps a single point-of-contact for all
> replacements. But I can't go for hard drives with just 1 year of warranty.
>
> Now, if I do go with non-Dell drives, I'll still need to monitor them
> for failure. Does anyone know if OMSA is capable of monitoring non-Dell
> drives? If not, can can Seagate drives be flashed with Dell firmware?
>
> Thanks for any insight...

If you don't mention that the failed drive is a "one-year item" from Dell,
it is covered by your 3-year warranty.
Maybe too if you buy Seagate drives at second source.

But my question is: why didn't you choose originally the 5-year warranty
from Dell?
You can get it, even if not choosable in the web interface.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:           Prof. Dr. Bernhard Neumair
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Kfm. Markus Hoppe
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598