Some MD1200 tuning info

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed Mar 31 10:56:56 CDT 2010

Just wanted to share some info I accumulated on
the MD1200 and H800 controller while testing and
configuring a disk deduplication media server for
a NetBackup installation.  The performance of the
H800 was atrocious while the background
initialization was running, so don't put an array
into production while it's still doing that if you
require good performance.  In fact, if the
performance is similar when it is rebuilding,
that may be an issue for some people too because
it was literally a factor of eight slower than
after initialization finally completed.

I initialized an array of (10) 2 TB 7200 rpm SAS
drives with two hot spares in an MD1200 connected
to an H800 controller via dual-paths on a T710
server and it took about three days total to
finish initialization.  The array is configured as
RAID 50 across the ten drives with what ended up
being a 128k stripe size.

To test, I used the Bonnie++ disk benchmarking tool
because it pretty closely simulates the type of
load NetBackup puts on a server when doing disk-based
backup with deduplication.  The external array is
about 16 TB usable after formatting, it's partitioned
with parted and I tested on CentOS 5.4 latest kernel
and both XFS and EXT3 with a combination of 64k
and 128k stripe sizes on the hardware side, ended
up with 128k as it was faster for this testing.  I
used the bonnie defaults so on this 40 GB server, it
ended up testing with an 80 GB data set.

The results:

1) XFS with hardware read ahead: 455 MB/sec write,
675 MB/sec read, 97 MB/sec random rewrite, 397 random
seeks/sec.

2) XFS with hardware adaptive read ahead: 218 MB/sec
write, 290 MB/sec read, 40 MB/sec random rewrite, 431
random seeks/sec.

3) EXT3 with hardware read ahead: 510 MB/sec write,
633 MB/sec read, 187 MB/sec random rewrite, 796 random
seeks/sec.

4) EXT3 with hardware adaptive read ahead: 507 MB/sec
write, 632 MB/sec read, 205 MB/sec random rewrite, 887
random seeks/sec.

I was kind of surprised at that, I had expected XFS to
be a lot better, perhaps there are mkfs or mount
options I need to play with but I didn't do anything
special to EXT3 either.  I have not disabled atime in
the mount.

So then I come across this article:

http://thias.marmotte.net/archives/2008/01/05/Dell-PERC5E-and-MD1000-per
formance-tweaks.html

and it advises of the blockdev command and adjusting
the read ahead value.  I tried a few options and
setting it to 8192 achieved the best result, which
changed my EXT3 with adaptive read ahead to 516 MB/sec
write, 959 MB/sec read (!!), 292 MB/sec random rewrite,
806 random seek/sec.  I did try the starting sector
alignment stuff too, serious PITA when using parted,
but it didn't make a significant difference.

Should be noted that while XFS was a lot slower for my
particular configuration, the CPU usage under writing
was about half what it was with EXT3, so that may be
a factor for some.  I'd also expect less dramatic
figures on servers handling lots of small files, maybe
that is where XFS shines too; for a backup de-dupe
server it is a lot of large files.

Dave