Changing BIOS Boot Order from Linux Command Line w/out Complete OM Install

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Mar 25 08:55:51 CDT 2010

On Wed, March 17, 2010 23:06, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:07:49PM -0400, Roehrig, Jack (John) wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a utility that exists that will allow me to modify
>> the BIOS boot order for Dell servers (specifically Poweredge
>> [126][6789]50s and R[4567]10) from the Linux command line? I need a
>> tool that is very non-intrusive, minimal, script-friendly, and will
>> allow me to configure a machine to attempt a network boot before any
>> other devices. I cannot install a full copy of OpenManage on these
>> machines, but am not opposed to using a precompiled binary or making
>> the nvram device. The distributions vary, but all will have Linux
>> 2.[46] kernels.

OK, so the syscfg program from dell-toolkit.rpm will allow setting the
BIOS boot order from the command line.  But it will not set the BIOS
service tag, which is often the only way I can track down an error when
someone mungs the inventory (short of the long drive and intense physical
security to eyeball the physical asset tags).  When Dell replaces a
motherboard, they do not set the service tag on the new board, so this is
an issue with a number of machines.

Is there a way to set the BIOS service tag from a Linux command line?  I
know about the asset.com "/s" switch, but booting each box into DOS is not
really a reasonable solution.