R900 RAM Configuration

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 10:33:14 CDT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Nick Lunt wrote:

> Hi
>
> we have an R900 with 32 x 2GB DIMMs in, so the server has no free DIMM
> slots.
> All the DIMMs are DDR2 FB-DIMM-SYNCHRONOUS .
>
> We need to increase the RAM from 64GB to a minimum of 103GB (based on
> our calculations), so really I guess we'd be looking at increasing the
> RAM to 104GB, or just going for a nice round 128GB :)
>
> Can anyone recommend the best upgrade method for this ?
> Do we need to keep RAM in banks all the same size ?
> How many DIMMs are in each bank ?

Doesn't the cost of 8GB DIMMs currently make all those decisions for you?
They're megabucks, so if you're right that you don't need to go beyond
128Gbytes right now, I'd think the right choice is 32x4Gbyte FBDIMMS.

If you decide in 12 months that you actually did want 256Gbytes, the reduction
in cost of the 8GB DIMMs will cover the loss you'll make on the 4GB ones
you'll have to either throw away / ebay / redeploy.

jh