iDRAC6 web admin interface not allowing virtual media configuration

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 21:31:40 CDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Stroller
<stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2010, at 01:43, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Stroller
>> <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Gernot,
>>>
>> Here the information from the "version information":
>>
>> Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 6 - Enterprise
>> Version  1.30
>> 2008-2009 Dell Inc. All rights reserved.
>
> Ok, so you have the good one.

Hello Stroller,
Thanks for the feedback and for solving my problem.

>>> On 23 Mar 2010, at 11:33, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>>>>
>> Any chance I can send you a screen shot? There is no such wording that
>> I can see, only two "tables", one for "console redirect" and one for
>> "virtual media", both contain uneditable lines of two colums each : a
>> parameter and a value. The value for the first parameter in the
>> "virtual media" table which I think could be translated as "status"
>> says "detached".
>
> Am sending you a screenshot off-list. But note that this only relates to the
> VFlash configuration, the SDcard that fits inside the iDRAC unit itself.

That saved me! now I can configure the drive(s) so that I can boot
from an ISO image. It was very hard to see that I needed to click on
that text (after trying clicking on various screens at various places
until now).

>> OK. That makes sense. I do not find any way to set up or select
>> "floppy" drives ...
>
> This is unrelated to the configuration within the main web-interface. The CD
> and floppy emulation is completely separate.

OK, I've now activated floppy emulation in the configuration section
(wipes sweat).

> If you wanted to mount a virtual floppy - say a bootable DOS disk - I think
> you would put that in your local laptop and use `dd if=/dev/fd0
> of=~/floppy.img`.  Then you could mount that using the virtual media menu
> from the console's drop-down.

Got it.

>> and what I am looking for is a way to attach a USB
>> drive in a way to write to it (for making a backup)
>
> I don't think you can do this. Where is the USB drive located? Remotely from
> the server?

Yes. And no, I could not find it advertised, just that one can mount a
USB drive. I assumed that meant one could read and write.

> I can only think you can boot with a LiveCD, mount the drive(s) and then tar
> via an ssh connection, use scp or similar.

I see. OK, Clonezilla can use SSH or NFS drives also as destinations
so not critical to have mounted writable USB drive, just nice to have.

> During the boot sequence I see in BIOS two messages about Virtual drives,
> one handled by BIOS, can't remember what the other one says (it's just gone
> off the screen). Then there is mention of the iDRAC, its network settings
> and a message to press CTRL-E to enter its configuration. This leads you to
> an iDRAC-specific BIOSy page; under "Virtual Media Configuration" I have
> "Auto-Attach" enabled.

We'll see what happens now that I have marked what seems to be the
equivalent of "auto-attach".

> I believe the VFlash can behave somewhat as a USB mass storage device, but
> only of 256meg (512meg using a Dell-branded SDcard). I have not been
> successful in getting this working (see my previous thread "Booting with
> iDRAC6 VFlash - Linux Live CD or similar", 6th March) although I now see
> that I didn't have it enabled in the CTRL-E BIOS.

Many thanks, this list is a life-saver of true excellence!
Best regards from Tokyo,
Gernot Hassenpflug