iDRAC6 web admin interface not allowing virtual media configuration

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 20:19:17 CDT 2010

Hi Gernot,

Firstly, what model of iDRAC6 do you have? I'm looking at the
Enterprise model on my screen right now. The "Express" has fewer
features.

On 23 Mar 2010, at 11:33, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> The problem is that when I want to configure virtual media at the
> system -> console/media web interface there is only a display of the
> current settings (detached) but no "configuration" option like is
> mentioned in the online iDRAC instructions.

I believe this relates only to the VFlash virtual media, and not CD-
ROM emulation. The "configuration" is in black letters immediately
underneath the tabs. But ignore this if you want to mount an iso image.

> So when I open a console and then try to select virtual media (CD
> drive) from the virtual media menu, there are some images, and I can
> add images, but they are "read-only" and pressing the "complete
> mapping" button results in an error message. Also, booting the server
> and pressing F2 to enter the BIOS menu shows no virtual drives to boot
> from (even when I have a CD in the drive, or have added a an image and
> selected boot from virtual CD in the web admin interface).

I click "Add Image..." and can browse to an .iso file. They *should*
be read only, I think, because you just want to boot from them, the
image should be of an installation CD. You wouldn't want to write to
them.

I can click the "Mapped" checkbox next to my "C:\Path\to\image.iso"
and see no error. I see no "complete mapping" button.

I see "Virtual Floppy" and "Virtual CD" by going into BIOS via F2,
then "Boot Settings" and "Boot Sequence". I think the ordering may be
the unexpected way around.

I have definitely booted my system and installed an o/s using the
Virtual CD this way.

Stroller.