iDRAC6 web admin interface not allowing virtual media configuration

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 06:33:03 CDT 2010

Hello,
I have a remote R610 server on client's premises with PERC6/i and
PERC6/e + MD1000 backup. The PERC6/i has 6.2.0 firmware (I will
upgrade it locally in a another day as I have to visit there for this
issue) and iDRac6 is version 1.3.0 build 24. At the moment I am using
Windows XP as I have 1 user only (user number 2) who is administrator
with all privileges set. I also checked this with racadm from the
server itself and created another admin user from the command line to
compare---no difference:

The problem is that when I want to configure virtual media at the
system -> console/media web interface there is only a display of the
current settings (detached) but no "configuration" option like is
mentioned in the online iDRAC instructions. I have looked at the
permissions of user 2 (administrator) in the web interface and have
checked everything related to permissions, without any effect
apparently.

So when I open a console and then try to select virtual media (CD
drive) from the virtual media menu, there are some images, and I can
add images, but they are "read-only" and pressing the "complete
mapping" button results in an error message. Also, booting the server
and pressing F2 to enter the BIOS menu shows no virtual drives to boot
from (even when I have a CD in the drive, or have added a an image and
selected boot from virtual CD in the web admin interface).

I'm not sure what I am missing but I am worried about not having any
virtual media configuration capability in the web admin interface.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug