swapping RAID1 disk and hot-swap disk for restore image test

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 22:32:26 CDT 2010

Hello all,

I have some worries about the time for rebuilding RAID1 on 300GiB
15000rpm SAS drives from the PERC6 controller. I did not find specific
information on Google searches, but times of 4 hours to approximately
48 hours appear in searches.

I see the PERC6 has a maximum transfer of 300MB/s, but I am not sure
how much will be available for the rebuild, nor what the limitation of
the disks is. I intend to do the rebuild from the BIOS (OS shut off).
What kind of rebuild speeds can I envisage?

We have about 12 hours (till next morning) in which to do the rebuild
provided it can complete successfully, but if possible want to
complete it in 1-2 hours (evening).

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug