External array showing as /dev/sda

Joe Gooch mrwizard at k12system.com
Sat Mar 20 18:26:10 CDT 2010

>From what I'm reading, it could probably be done with some manual intervention.

First, I would say just disconnect the external array entirely and do the install without it.  (Then you're assured your internal drives will be sda for the purpose of installing... after that, you can use UUID's for grub and the kernel.  Hopefully, the bios/EFI will boot from the right disk.  If not, you could just as easily set up a grub boot partition on both disks)
http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition
http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg12109.html

Is there an expert mode of the RHEL installer that might let you proceed and set up these options yourself?  Unfortunately, the bulk of my experience is with Debian and Mandriva.

Recovery is Possible is a nice linux boot cd that will let you do partition table manipulation and such if you can't boot. (http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/) I've used it for everything from fixing a non-bootable system to completely partitioning/formatting a blank system's hard drive, rsyncing a system image over and setting it to boot.

Joe