External array showing as /dev/sda

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Sat Mar 20 16:05:10 CDT 2010

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com

> Probably.  But it may not be worth it.  Why does it matter to
> you?  Not saying that it doesn't matter, just trying to
> understand why.   Getting it to be /dev/sda during install,
> for instance, wouldn't guarantee that it
> would be that when you booted the installed kernel.

Because I can't figure out how to get the OS installed
otherwise.  As it stands currently, I would like to use
RAID 50 on both the internal and external arrays.  Dell's
raid controllers do not allow you to create anything other
than one logical drive presenting 100% of the physical
raid 50 array size to the OS as a drive, so basically
this means my external /dev/sda drive shows as 24 TB,
my internal /dev/sdb drive shows as 4.5 TB.

So, trying to install RHEL 5.4 x86_64, the LVM wizard
cranks up and since the external array is /dev/sda
I un-check the box to tell the installer to not look
at that 'drive'.  I leave /dev/sdb checked which is
my 4.5 TB internal drive.  Proceed and then the
installer tells me my boot drive is managed by GPT
but the system cannot boot with GPT and I'm done.
As far as I can tell there is not currently a supported
way to get RHEL 5 installed with the server in UEFI
boot mode, or at least I can't figure it out, I did
try putting it in UEFI mode but it refused to boot
off an ISO on DVD or a native DVD.  So you can't
boot off a GPT drive and you can't install to a
MBR drive lol.

As best I can tell, this leaves me with the only
option being get internal to show as /dev/sda,
waste a bunch of money by being forced to reconfigure
that array as a RAID 1 of two drives for the sole
purpose of being able to present a 'drive' of less
than 2 TB to the OS so RHEL will install on it using
MBR as /dev/sda, do the remaining six disks as RAID
50 and let them become /dev/sdb, keep the external
array as RAID 50 /dev/sdc now.  I can't accomplish
this without the internal raid controller being
/dev/sda though so the installer will make it past the
partitioning step.  Also quite unhappy that the two 750
GB drives that should have been part of my RAID 50
internal will effectively be used to store about 2 GB
of boot and OS files but I think I'm stuck.

David