External array showing as /dev/sda

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Mar 20 14:38:07 CDT 2010

On Sat, March 20, 2010 15:17, David Hubbard wrote:
> Got a PowerEdge T510 with internal raid
> plus an H800 controller hooked to an MD1200
> external array.  Trying to install centos;
> raid controllers are
>
> bus 2 device 0 internal
> bus 7 device 0 external
>
> During setup its identifying /dev/sda as
> external storage which I don't want.  Is
> there anything I can tweak to make it
> detect the storage in an order that
> results in the internal being /dev/sda?

Probably.  But it may not be worth it.  Why does it matter to you?  Not
saying that it doesn't matter, just trying to understand why.  Getting it
to be /dev/sda during install, for instance, wouldn't guarantee that it
would be that when you booted the installed kernel.

There's a seminal paper by Matt Domsch of Dell, about Linux device naming
at http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q07-20060392-Domsch.pdf

That might give some insight.  It's several years old, but pretty much
still valid, although UUIDs seem to be displacing labels for identifying
partitions for mounting.   I still use labels.