swapping RAID1 disk and hot-swap disk for restore image test

Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com
Fri Mar 19 03:37:15 CDT 2010

No trouble.
Best is to power down the system - remove the raid 1 disks at least that
the disk have no connection to the backplane.
Test what you want to test- with the single disk as raid 0.
After that delete the raid 0 reinsert the disks => import the foreign
config and it will work as before
IF you are work remote only, I would set the raid 1 disks to offline =>
if you reenable it, set only one disk online and set the 2nd in a
rebuild state. (this you can do after the os has started to see if all
is fine and the 2nd mirrored disk can be used separately in worst case
scenarios..)

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Gernot
Hassenpflug
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 9:15 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: swapping RAID1 disk and hot-swap disk for restore image test

Dear all,

I've set up a R610 with PERC6/i and PERC6/e controllers and MD1000
backup. The R610 has 3 disks: 2 in RAID1 configuration, and 1 as a
hot-swap.

Before client data was added, I created a restore image using
Clonezilla, and tested it on the RAID1 disks successfully (data is
over-written by restore process).

Now after client data has been added, I have a maintenance time coming
up next week where I want to create another restore image and test
it---but if possible without deleting data or interfering with the
RAID1 configuration.

So I want to disable the two RAID1 disks in the BIOS, and use the
hot-swap disk as the system disk, do a restore to the new single disk,
and test that it runs.

Then I want to switch back to the original RAID1 and hot-swap
configuration.

What I wonder is whether the controller will have an trouble if I
disable and reenable RAIDs in this manner?

Many thanks in advance for comments and opinions.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug