swapping RAID1 disk and hot-swap disk for restore image test

Jens_Heinz at Dell.com Jens_Heinz at Dell.com
Fri Mar 19 03:33:05 CDT 2010

It should work this way:

1. goto RAID BIOS
2. offline both RAID1 HDDs
3. create a RAID0 in hotspare drive
4. change 'bootable VD'
5. do your restore tests

To go back to your original configuration I would recommend to just
online one of your both RAID1 HDDs and rebuild the other if all is fine.

This approach has two advantages, avoid issue when forcing 2x HDDs
online at once and you still have your data available on your 2nd HDD if
something goes wrong with 1st one.

One thing you need to consider in your scenario, if you're using
/dev/sdX device numbering. Your RAID1 will usually be /dev/sda (even if
you failed/offlined it) and your RAID0 will be /dev/sdb. This might
affect GRUB, mount points etc. from your restored image.

Jens.