DRAC 5 console with Firefox 3.0.5 on Red Hat

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 18:51:59 CDT 2010

On 16 Mar 2010, at 23:14, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> ... I have a DRAC5 but can't use the console redirection because
> I've never been able to get the browser stuff to work.

Yeah, I just resort to Internet Exploder. I've got IE8 working with a
DRAC4 - it just takes a lot of fiddling with the (in)security settings
in Windows' Internet Options.

> I would've preferred to use VNC as it's readily available and easy
> to install, so I'm just wondering why Dell chose a custom protocol
> instead.

Exceedingly good question!

> With all the hassle and problems of installing the browser plugins,
> it must do something fantastic that VNC can't!

I believe that the original VNC project ceased (with the closure of
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge) without encryption as a feature. I have
always felt this a shame, as there seems to be some fragmentation of
projects now. Some of the original developers formed RealVNC, but they
sell their product and I don't believe the GPL version offers
encryption.

One might conjecture that this DRAC incompatibility may be related to
this.

Stroller.