DRAC 5 console with Firefox 3.0.5 on Red Hat

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Tue Mar 16 18:14:11 CDT 2010

Sorry, perhaps I should've been clearer - I have a DRAC5 but can't use
the console redirection because I've never been able to get the browser
stuff to work.  There is a telnet/SSH client but it doesn't handle
screen updates properly so you can't see the output properly.

I would've preferred to use VNC as it's readily available and easy to
install, so I'm just wondering why Dell chose a custom protocol instead.
  With all the hassle and problems of installing the browser plugins, it
must do something fantastic that VNC can't!

Cheers,
Adam.

Stroller wrote:
> The DRAC is a hardware component in the PowerEdge server, and its viewer
> allows you to see & interact with the screen even during POST. So you
> can alter BIOS settings, perform initial configuration of the RAID
> array, or troubleshoot the machine even when the operating system isn't
> booting properly.
>
> Does the DRAC5 allow viewing with a regular VNC viewer? I am certain
> that neither the DRAC4 nor the iDRAC6 Enterprise do, not the earlier RAC
> in my 2650 systems. These plug ins allow you to access the screen viewer
> from supported web-browsers.
>
> Stroller.
>

> On 16 Mar 2010, at 07:04, Adam Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Hi Gagan,
>>
>> What's the benefit of using these custom plugins over say, VNC?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adam.
>>
>> Gagan_Shrestha at dell.com wrote:
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> The following documentation should help you :
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smdrac3/drac5/150/en/ug/h
>>> tml/racugc9.htm#wp1057972
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gagan