RAID-5 and database servers

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 13 09:43:04 CST 2010

Quoting "John G. Heim" <jheim at math.wisc.edu>:

> Well, this is actually the problem... I am about as sure as I can be that a
> "spam bomb" is not a noce every five year event. We get flooded with spam
> pretty regularly. Its probably not a million messages a day but more like
> 50,000 in two hours and then little or nothing for the next 22 hours.

Yeah, annoying, huh?

This is best handled via the MTA limits, not via SpamAssassin et al...
You want to stop this before it ever hits your RAID disks, if possible.
In other words, this is more of a mail issue than a database issue.
But it is off topic, and better discussed off-list or on another list.

> what I want though. If I want to set up two RAIDs, one for the operating
> system and one for the database files, do I need two PERCs? Can a single
> PERC put 2 disks in a RAID-1 array and 3 others in a RAID-5 array?

One controller can do both...  If you can get a dual channel controller and
split backplanes (or dual bays) all the better.  But even a bare bones single
controller and single backplane will work...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!