Installing RHEL5 via DRAC

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 11:40:58 CST 2010

On 12 Mar 2010, at 17:12, Rainer M. Canavan wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2010, at 17:22 , Stroller wrote:
>
>> If you're using the DRAC to mount the .iso image as "virtual media"
>> and boot the system that way, then it should be seen as a local drive
>> to the host machine. I fear other responses may be clupea rubra.
>>
>> Try it with an XP CD or another distro - E.G. systemrescueCD. The
>> virtual media drive should appear as /dev/sr0 or something.
>
> or /dev/cdrom0 or /dev/scd0 or similar. With DRAC 5 or 6, you should
> see plug/unplug events in dmesg, syslog or the logging console
> whenever
> you connect or disconnect the virtual media.

In his case, he presumably won't be able to do that, because he's
trying to install. I would assume the only o/s he has at present is on
the CD on the DRAC's virtual CD drive.

>> Here's a system booted on the virtual media of an iDRAC6:
>>
>> root at sysresccd /root % ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
>> iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-03-11 18:56 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
>> iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0 -> ../../sr1
>> root at sysresccd /root %
>
> DRAC5 and DRAC6 use USB mass storage, which should work without
> any special drivers, as long as the installation medium supports
> USB mass storage or CDROM devices. DRAC4 on the other hand uses
> a Silicon Image IDE controller, which may not be recognized
> by really ancient Linux install CDs.

Hmmm.... for some reason I misread the 5 in the subject as referring
to the DRAC5 generation. Seems like the OP doesn't state the DRAC
version he's using. I've however had a lot of success with the DRAC4 &
Linux Live CDs - Knoppix, the Gparted live CD & (I'm sure)
SystemRescueCD have all worked.

Stroller.