Installing RHEL5 via DRAC

Rainer M. Canavan rainer-dellpe at 7val.com
Fri Mar 12 11:12:11 CST 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 17:22 , Stroller wrote:

> If you're using the DRAC to mount the .iso image as "virtual media"
> and boot the system that way, then it should be seen as a local drive
> to the host machine. I fear other responses may be clupea rubra.
>
> Try it with an XP CD or another distro - E.G. systemrescueCD. The
> virtual media drive should appear as /dev/sr0 or something.

or /dev/cdrom0 or /dev/scd0 or similar. With DRAC 5 or 6, you should
see plug/unplug events in dmesg, syslog or the logging console whenever
you connect or disconnect the virtual media.

> Here's a system booted on the virtual media of an iDRAC6:
>
> root at sysresccd /root % ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
> iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-03-11 18:56 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
> iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0 -> ../../sr1
> root at sysresccd /root %

DRAC5 and DRAC6 use USB mass storage, which should work without
any special drivers, as long as the installation medium supports
USB mass storage or CDROM devices. DRAC4 on the other hand uses
a Silicon Image IDE controller, which may not be recognized
by really ancient Linux install CDs.

rainer canavan