Installing RHEL5 via DRAC

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 10:22:43 CST 2010

On 10 Mar 2010, at 15:06, Brian O'Mahony wrote:

> I am installing a machine in a remote location, using a DRAC. I have
> the iso on a local fileserver and am mounting the DVD via a windows
> workstation, located at the remote location, that I am connecting to
> via RDP.
>
> I have disabled all boot options other than VirtualCD in the BIOS. I
> have the network cables unplugged, except the DRAC.
>
> The machine boots from the DRAC ti the RHEL install setup. It asks
> me for Language, then Keyboard, then it comes up with:
>
> Installation Method
> Local CDROM
> Hard Drive
> NFS Image
> FTP
> HTTP
>
> But none of these seem to work (I know that with the NICs
> disconnected the NFS & FTP wouldn't work).
>
> Even though the DRAC is booting from the DVD and can see it, does it
> need to also have network access to see the iso?

Mentioning your use of RDP is irrelevant. It only confused me.

If you're using the DRAC to mount the .iso image as "virtual media"
and boot the system that way, then it should be seen as a local drive
to the host machine. I fear other responses may be clupea rubra.

Try it with an XP CD or another distro - E.G. systemrescueCD. The
virtual media drive should appear as /dev/sr0 or something.

Here's a system booted on the virtual media of an iDRAC6:

root at sysresccd /root % ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-03-11 18:56 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-
iDRAC_Virtual_CD_20080519-0:0 -> ../../sr1
root at sysresccd /root %

Stroller.