RAID-5 and database servers

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Fri Mar 12 10:03:18 CST 2010

On 2010-03-12 15:45, John G. Heim wrote:
> Well, its not really practical to suggest that I consult with my vendor. My
> whole budget is $6000. This is just the Math Department at the University of
> Wisconsin. I mentioned in my original message that our databases consist
> primarily of spamassassin bayesian rules and horde3/imp web mail. Those do a
> lot of updates -- well, a lot by our standards. Every time a spam message
> comes in, it it is added to the bayesian rule set for the user. I'm going to
> say that typically each user gets 100 spam messages a day and there are 200
> users. But each new rule consistes of several table updates. Even so, its
> not like we're ebay.
>
> Anyway, speed of updates is critical because we can't have the mail system
> getting bogged down by database updates. I put the bayesian rules in a mysql
> DB in the first place because it was getting bogged down saving bayesian
> data to bbm files on the mail server.
>
> I just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for a disaster.

Can you estimate the number of transactions per second you need? Is the
current mysql implementation keeping up with the mail? If so, run iostat
-kthx 60 under peak load, wait a minute, and post the last report
indicating which block device has the mysql database on it.

It doesn't sound like it would be a disaster if your database filesystem
crashed; you'd just drop the spam filtering while you reconstruct it.

Is your $6000 just for storage or do you have to buy a PowerEdge to go
along with it?