RAID-5 and database servers

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 12 09:45:07 CST 2010

From: "Jefferson Ogata" <poweredge at antibozo.net>
> *Again*, this is why if you have particular performance requirements,
> you should consult with your database vendor to determine what bandwidth
> and IOPS you need, and benchmark your gear using different RAID configs.
> You may find that RAID 5 is just fine performance-wise, and you can get
> around 1.7 times the storage capacity with the same rack space, heat,
> and power load over RAID 10. Asking here you're just going to get people
> parroting Oracle's stale recommendations and speculating wildly without
> knowing anything about your workload.

Well, its not really practical to suggest that I consult with my vendor. My
whole budget is $6000. This is just the Math Department at the University of
Wisconsin. I mentioned in my original message that our databases consist
primarily of spamassassin bayesian rules and horde3/imp web mail. Those do a
lot of updates -- well, a lot by our standards. Every time a spam message
comes in, it it is added to the bayesian rule set for the user. I'm going to
say that typically each user gets 100 spam messages a day and there are 200
users. But each new rule consistes of several table updates. Even so, its
not like we're ebay.

Anyway, speed of updates is critical because we can't have the mail system
getting bogged down by database updates. I put the bayesian rules in a mysql
DB in the first place because it was getting bogged down saving bayesian
data to bbm files on the mail server.

I just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for a disaster.