RAID-5 and database servers

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Thu Mar 11 13:55:20 CST 2010

On 2010-03-11 19:48, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Jefferson Ogata <poweredge at antibozo.net>:
>> I've got several hundred disks running on RAID 5 and I've had one actual
>> full RAID failure in 10 years, and that was my fault.
>
> You've been lucky! :)
>
> In 10 years, I've think I've had 3 RAID 5 failures (all rebuilt without
> problems).

That's not what I mean by a full RAID failure. I've had plenty of disks
fail and subsequent successful rebuilds. I'm saying on one occasion
(because of an oversight) I ended up with an unrecoverable RAID 5
because of disk failures.

Of course, this wasn't a serious problem because I also had backups.

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo
<ogata at antibozo.net>  http://www.antibozo.net/ogata/