RAID-5 and database servers

Support @ Technologist support at technologist.si
Thu Mar 11 12:23:02 CST 2010

Hi
I think if you use raid1 with at least 1 hotspare, you're pretty secure
with a high datatransfer..
If one disk fails then the hotspare takes it place and gives the time to
replace the broken disk..

Recently I put an old server from raid5 to raid1, because of the
progresql. they recommended the raid 1 or raid 10 for performance.

Although I never had serious problems with raid 5 ( always used
combination of at least 3 disks and minimal of 1 hotspare.). No hardware
problems, nor performance issues.

But I mostly work with quite small workgroups (max 50 workstations).

regards,

Arno

Op donderdag 11-03-2010 om 12:09 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Preston
Hagar: