Dell DTK bootable iso or pxe images with Cobbler

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Wed Mar 10 09:19:38 CST 2010

Jonathan Sabo wrote:

> It would be really nice if there were getty's running on ttyS0 and
> ttyS1 and those were added to the the etc/securetty file as well.
>
> Lots of people use serial consoles to manage their servers.  I do.

Amen to that.  And while we're on the subject of even more remotely
possible improvements to the DTK environment, it would be nice to have
an ISOLINUX/PXELINUX boot option for serial console - although for this
to really be meaningful, there are probably some hard-coded dependencies
on /dev/tty0 and /dev/tty1 that would need to be fixed as well.  Here's
a fragment of my pxelinux.cfg:
serial 1 57600 0x3
# above line MUST be first one in file
display DTK/message.txt

# need to use tftp mounting as nfs mounting doesn't execute the
share_script...
label 1
        kernel DTK/isolinux/SA.1
        append initrd=DTK/isolinux/SA.2 ramdisk_size=80527
Stage3_type=network DEBUG=0 quiet share_type=tftp share_location=.
share_script=dell-dtk-bios-update tftp_ip=winwood console=ttyS1,57600n8r

label 2
        kernel DTK/isolinux/SA.1
        append initrd=DTK/isolinux/SA.2 ramdisk_size=80527
Stage3_type=network DEBUG=0 quiet share_type=tftp share_location=.
share_script=dell-dtk-bios-update
 tftp_ip=winwood

label 3
        localboot 0x80

and message.txt:
Enter the number of the boot option you wish to select and then press
the <ENTER> key.

    1: Serial Console BIOS update
    2: VGA Console BIOS update
    3: Boot from Hard Drive

Auto-Boot to <Option 1 -- Serial Console BIOS update> after 10 seconds...

I run my serial consoles at 57600 (highest speed supported by BMC, DRAC,
and Linux) rather than 9600, just so that stuff doesn't take all day
when I use them - but even a 9600 setting would be better than nothing.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com