Alternatives to Dell storage?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:56:52 CST 2010

> I've had good experiences with the Infortrend boxes, but whether they're
> a suitable replacement for Dell storage depends on what you're after.
> IME they're much more *expensive*, for a start ...

On the configuration page for the md1000, do the "Single Blank Hard
Drive Filler"s allow you to put HDDs in them or do you actually have
to purchase the lowest end HDD they'll sell in order to get a caddy?
The cheapest option I'm seeing is a 500GB 7.2K RPM Universal SATA
3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug HDD for $195.30 (obscene). Getting 15 of these
the price comes to $5309.50 w/3 YR NBD warranty, rapid rails, no PERC
card, and declined remote installation.

Let's say instead you go with the infortrend jbod :

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?578910_g10e

Get 16 Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS (enterprise class drives)
$90/ea and your total comes to $5017 . I've seeing that JBOD sold
elsewhere for as low as $3115.

Yes, if you get one with a RAID controller it's much more expensive .