RAID-5 and database servers

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 9 16:54:44 CST 2010

Has anyone configured a database server with RAID-5? Is it really a bad idea
to do so? I asked last month for tips on configuring a DB server. I have
around $6K to spend. I am pretty much settled on getting 2 quad-core CPUs
and 32 Gb of RAM. But I'm still ignorant in terms of what to get for disk.
1500 RPM, I know that. But is it better to do RAID-1 or RAID-5. I can't
figure out why RAID-1 would be better than RAID-5. I understand that with
RAID-5, a single database write might translate into writing 2 blocks (a
data block and a parity block). But doesn't RAID-1 *always* do an extra
write for every data block written?