Dell DTK bootable iso or pxe images with Cobbler

Jon Sabo jonathan.sabo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:31:56 CST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Tom Rockwell <rockwell at pa.msu.edu> wrote:
> Jon,
>
> The DTK ISO is bootable.  You can also PXE boot using images from the disk.
>  I don't grok the full DTK setup, however, if you just PXE boot with the
> kernel and initrd (files SA.1 and SA.2) you'll have a Linux system that
> supports BIOS/Firmware updates and the syscfg tool.  It uses busy box, so is
> pretty small but has the usual UNIX utilities.  It can be passed a script to
> download and run as a kernel commandline option. I guess you could template
> that script...  Or you could make a little script that used wget to pull in
> a cgi generated script...
>
> Anyways, it seems to me an advantage of using the images from the DTK is
> that they should support the Dell tools.  We find that our production OS (a
> recompile of RHEL54) doesn't run all the Bios update packages.
>
> -Tom Rockwell
>
> On 3/3/10 11:12 AM, Jon Sabo wrote:
>>
>> List,
>>
>> I want to be able to automatically configure bios settings and raid
>> settings and whatever else I can configure as part of a
>> pre-provisioning process.  I'm pretty sure the Dell Deployment toolkit
>> is the right set of tools.  The things is I don't want to have to
>> install them and have them on the systems.  I just want to have an
>> automatically configured bios, raid, whatever else but I want to use
>> Cobbler's builtin conifg management
>> (https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/BuiltinConfigManagement) to
>> render templated bios config files. Does Dell provide or could they
>> provide a bootable iso that can be made into a pxe image to configure
>> the bios.  I want to pxe into an image, configure the bios and then
>> reboot and install the os using Cobbler.  I don't want to have to use
>> open manage or have dell tools left on the systems following the
>> install.
>>
>> They have some docs on how to pxe boot any live cd on the Cobbler web
>> site.
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/HowToPxeAnyLiveCd
>>
>> I talked to some Dell guys on IRC and one of them had actually built a
>> similar setup for himself at one point.
>>
>> Does anyone on the list have a setup like this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan

That seems like it's going to work out just fine.

Starting at line 218 of bin/start-stage3.sh inside the SA.2 initrd file.

if [ x$share_type = x"http" ] && [ ! -z $share_script ]; then
    mkdir -p /tmp/$share_location
    wget --no-check-certificate -O /tmp/$share_location/$share_script
$share_location/$share_script
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
        echo HTTP FILE TRANSFER FAILED.
    fi
fi

Could the above code snippet be included in future DTK releases so I
don't have to keep editing these files please?  We would like to be
able to pull down the share_scripts from a web address over http or
https.  We use cobbler ( https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/ ) to
template out the scripts/files and then render them with data stored
in the cobbler cmdb.