replacement drives in PE servers

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Sat Mar 6 20:21:54 CST 2010

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: replacement drives in PE servers
From: Kevin Davidson <kevin at indigospring.co.uk>
To: Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>
Cc: Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>, "linux-poweredge at dell.com"
<linux-poweredge at dell.com>
Date: Saturday, March 06, 2010 6:47:31 AM

> On 6 Mar 2010, at 06:53, Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net> wrote:
>
>> They usually use a Dell specific identifier, but I don't
>> believe the Dell firmware/id significantly modifies the drive's behavior
>> [...] I'm using a pair of Dell
>> branded Samsung "raid version" SATA drives in my workstation in a RAID 1
>> and they are the most unreliable drives I've ever used in a RAID- one or
>> the other will drop out of the array about once every month or two under
>> heavy load.
>
> Just read back what you've written and you'll see your blunder. You're
> using Dell drives with a non-Dell controller.
>
> :-)
>
> All that remains is for Dell to announce their own connector standards
> (DAS & DATA) to prevent this sort of error.

I assume that the "my blunder" comment was a bit of facetiousness.  If
it matters, the Samsung 160GB SATA drives were purchased in a PE 2900III
and immediately replaced with 1.5TB Seagates. The Samsungs then went
into a new Dell Vostro. No problems with the Seagates I purchased from
Newegg, constant problems with both of the Dell branded Samsungs.

As you can tell, we purchase a few Dells... this could certainly change
based on this single policy that Dell has chosen to force.