replacement drives in PE servers

Kevin Davidson kevin at indigospring.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 06:47:31 CST 2010

On 6 Mar 2010, at 06:53, Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net> wrote:

> They usually use a Dell specific identifier, but I don't
> believe the Dell firmware/id significantly modifies the drive's
> behavior
> [...] I'm using a pair of Dell
> branded Samsung "raid version" SATA drives in my workstation in a
> RAID 1
> and they are the most unreliable drives I've ever used in a RAID-
> one or
> the other will drop out of the array about once every month or two
> under
> heavy load.

Just read back what you've written and you'll see your blunder. You're
using Dell drives with a non-Dell controller.

:-)

All that remains is for Dell to announce their own connector standards
(DAS & DATA) to prevent this sort of error.

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

indigospring :Making Sense of IT