replacement drives in PE servers

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Sat Mar 6 00:53:22 CST 2010

Dell just uses commodity drives from whatever manufacturer had the most
available. They usually use a Dell specific identifier, but I don't
believe the Dell firmware/id significantly modifies the drive's behavior
or enhances the drive in any way. In fact, I'm using a pair of Dell
branded Samsung "raid version" SATA drives in my workstation in a RAID 1
and they are the most unreliable drives I've ever used in a RAID- one or
the other will drop out of the array about once every month or two under
heavy load.

Ideally, you'd use matched drives in an array, but something that uses
the same interface (don't mix SAS/SATA/SCSI), spindle speed, cache, and
equal or greater size will work fine. In a pinch you can forgo spindle
speed/cache considerations, but I wouldn't run that way long term.

We've been replacing our Dell drives with off the shelf drives for years
as we upgrade our servers. This advice is valid for PERC6 and below as
well as all non-RAID controllers. Dell's newest H series PERCs will only
work with Dell drives - if you get one of these, expect to pay a few
$1000 in markup if you need to upgrade or replace drives out of
warranty. Just factor that into the cost of the server and see if you
still want to buy a new dell.

--Blake