Racadm and enterprise/express, blade vs stand-alone.

Benjamin_Gordy at Dell.com Benjamin_Gordy at Dell.com
Thu Mar 4 17:32:51 CST 2010

Does the following link help?  (note: there's a Overview tab, Things to Consider tab, and Additional Resources tab)

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~id=hmc_idrac6&ref=CFG

Ben Gordy

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Detweiler, Dick
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:51 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Racadm and enterprise/express, blade vs stand-alone.

Hi all,

I am new to the list, have read a thread concerning this issue but still have some questions as the PowerEdge servers I have seem to diverge from what is supposed to be supported.  Hopefully someone here can set me straight.

Our configuration of Dell servers is as follows:

An M1000e with M600, M605, M610, M710, and M805 blades installed.  We also have stand alone R410 and R710 idracs we are evaluating.

I am trying to figure out how to talk to them all via racadm over an SSH session using expect scripts.  I know that Express models (our M605, M600, M805 and R410) are not supposed to support remote racadm.

 However what I am seeing is the R410 DOES allow access to remote racadm.  In fact, when you ssh to the server it drops you into a shell where racadm is available unlike the other express types that put you into the SMASH-CLP shell.

 I haven't found a way to get racadm access from the SMASH-CLP shell either.  I might have missed it in the documentation but I haven't run across how to do that.  Dell says you have SSH and local access but I haven't been able to get there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dick