OT: monitoring PERC4e/di in ESXi 4.0

Robert von Bismarck robert.vonbismarck at vtx-telecom.ch
Thu Mar 4 05:12:31 CST 2010

Hi all,

Maybe slightly off-topic, but asking anyway.
We installed ESXi 4.0 on a refurbished PE2850 with a PERC4e/di with 6x73Gb disks in RAID5 for light lab virtualization duties.
We used the ESXi 4.0 installer with Dell customisations, installed OpenManage via VMware vCLI, and the "health status" in vsphere client shows all the bits of the hardware nicely, but not the PERC, even though it's recognized and useable as a datastore.

After configuring SNMP traps in ESXi, we tried pulling a power cable, and got the traps we expected, but pulling a live disk out of the raid array did not do anything except start the "Blinking Amber Light of Trouble(tm)" on the server front. No status change in vsphere client either.

Thanks for any hints/clues,

Kind regards,

Robert von Bismarck
Senior Systems Engineer

VTX SERVICES SA
Une société du groupe VTX Telecom
Tél : 021 721 11 11 - Mobile : 079 541 37 28 - VoIP VTX 062 503 79 05
Av. de Lavaux 101 - 1009 Pully
http://www.vtx.ch - robert.von bismarck at vtx-telecom.ch