Adding a second Quad Core L5420 CPU to a 1950 III

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 12:18:08 CST 2010

PJF wrote:
> I've been through the dell docs and intel docs, not sure if the stepping
> matters.

Out of curiosity I had another look at this.  Intel's line on older
processor lines were that the steppings shouldn't differ by more than 1,
Intel's 5400 series datasheet says:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/en_US/PDF/datasheet/318589.pdf

> Not all operating systems can support dual processors with mixed
> frequencies. Mixing
> processors of different steppings but the same model (as per CPUID
> instruction) is
> supported. Details regarding the CPUID instruction are provided in the
> AP-485 Intel®
> Processor Identification and the CPUID Instruction application note.

but OTOH, it seems that mixing both settings of L5420 caused some
trouble on Intel S5000 boards before they updated the BIOS...

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18075/eng/release.txt

Cheers,

Tim.