Kernel .config for non-RAID 2850 scsi controller - IGNORE

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 12:15:35 CST 2010

On 1 Mar 2010, at 16:29, Stroller wrote:
> I've just acquired a PowerEdge 2850 for which the RAID key is
> unfortunately missing (let me know off-list if you have one of these
> for sensible money). I can boot it with a live CD and the hard-disk
> is recognised - I believe this is operating in a non-RAID, non-
> hotswap mode. I have partitioned he drive & copied over a Gentoo
> stage installation, but when I boot I get a kernel panic because I
> can't find what drivers to enable in the kernel.

Please ignore the above request for help (if it comes through - I sent
it 90 minutes ago, and it's not showing up here yet).

The drivers were exactly where I'd been told to look for them, but for
some reason I still hadn't seen them for looking:

Device Drivers --->
  Fusion MPT device support  --->
   <*>   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SPI
   <*>   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for FC
   <M>   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SAS
   (40)  Maximum number of scatter gather entries (16 - 128)
   <*>   Fusion MPT misc device (ioctl) driver
   <M>   Fusion MPT LAN driver
   [*]   Fusion MPT logging facility

I was completely confused that these weren't under:

Device Drivers --->
  SCSI device support  --->
   SCSI low-level drivers  --->

which is where I found the "LSI MPT Fusion SAS 2.0 Device Driver"
mentioned in my previous post. There is undoubtedly a good reason for
this.

Stroller.