Centos Update 1950 wont boot 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5

Steve Tempest Steve.Tempest at gts.apn.com.au
Mon Mar 1 02:05:26 CST 2010

Hi,

Recently I updated my centos 5.0 server to the latest kernel/patches
5.4, when I restarted the server it seems the raid drivers are broken as
it won't boot.

The server has the PERC 6/i raid controller and it boots just find
running an earlier kernel (2.6.18-53.1.21.el5). I've spent a fair bit of
time searching around to see if there are any bugs reported that fit
this problem and can't find any.

Below is what comes up on the screen when booking off the newer kernel
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5:

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting

unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory

switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

I'm not sure what exactly is the issue here as the raid controller was
working just fine with the earlier version of the kernel?

Any help working out what are the best next steps would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Notice

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and subject to copyright.  They may
contain privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message
and notify the sender. You should not read, copy, use, change, alter or disclose this email or
its attachments without authorisation.  The company and any related or associated companies do
not accept any liability in connection with this email and any attachments including in connection
with computer viruses, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment. Any views expressed in this email and any attachments do not necessarily reflect the
views of the company or the views of any of our related or associated companies.