Moving PD slots while preserving VD

Ken Nishimura nishimur at opus.scs.agilent.com
Tue Jun 29 19:36:39 CDT 2010

I'm halfway through a disk migration to increase space and now want to
poll the group before proceeding...

OLD: One virtual disk (Virtual Disk 0) comprised of two 146 GB physical drives
in controller slots 0 and 1.  This was the system disk.

WANT: One virtual disk (named Virtual Disk 0) comprised of two 300 GB
physical drives in controller slots 0 and 1.  This will be the new system disk.

Steps taken so far:

1) Inserted two 300 GB physical drives in controller slots 2 and 3 and
created Virtual Disk 1.

2) Copied all the info from Virtual Disk 0 to Virtual Disk 1.

3) Rebooted into PERC BIOS, and:

	a) Forced offline the two 146 GB drives.  This made VD0 disappear
	as expected.

	b) Physically removed the two 146 GB drives.

4) This worked fine.  Machine rebooted and now on a larger virtual disk.

What I want may seem petty, but I'd like to move the two physical disks
from slots 2 and 3 back into slots 0 and 1, and rename the VD from
Virtual Disk 1 to Virtual Disk 0.

The rename is trivial, but moving disks scares me.  Am I correct in
fearing that if I were to force offline the two drives and move them
from slots 2/3 into slots 0/1, that things would go awry?

What is the safe way (if any) of moving the disks?

Thanks,

Ken