System Inventory/Catalogging

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 29 16:49:29 CDT 2010

Quoting Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>:

> Are there any decent open source Linux software that work well with
> Dell servers that make it easy to catalog/inventory servers in a
> datacenter?

You might look at OCS/OCSng...

> Take the server out of the box,
> boot it via the network,
> software collects all pertinent information about the server such as
> hardware, MAC addresses
> inserts it into $some_database_somewhere that we can eventually use later

If somewhere in the above you install and run OCS, it should do what
you want (send the info back to the OCS database).  OCS can be integrated
with other software also (e.g., GLPI) for additional functionality (GLPI
will even grab the machine info from Dell's web site!)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!