Blew away my partition table

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Jun 29 14:47:26 CDT 2010

On Tue, June 29, 2010 15:39, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:32:02PM -0700, J. Epperson wrote:
>> Arrived home very tired and in a lapse of judgement tried to configure
>> a new USB backup drive on my PERC3 based home server, with a new cat
>> roaming between me and the monitor.  Created a new partition on the
>> existing /dev/sda instead of the new /dev/sdb.  System is still
>> running, and I"m doing an rsync to the new drive now.
>>
>> Can some kind soul help me remember how to repair this surgically
>> instead of rebuilding the filesystem and reloading it?  If not, I
>> deserve it.
>
> If you know exactly how the previous partitions were laid out, you can
> just recreate that structure.
>
> The underlying filesystem data will be fine.
>
> I'm sure there's a way to glean the partition structure information from
> the layout of data on your disk as well... especially if it was fairly
> simple (ie, /boot as ext2 and / as ext3 or LVM).

Thanks. If I get some rest I may be able to think through it.  It was a
stock /boot on sda1 and / on sda2, with swap on sda3, no lvols, no other
partitions.  I have a df so I know the sizes, but not sure I'm capable of
translating that to what I need to do with parted/gparted to line the
partitions up exactly as before.  It will probably keep running happily
until I try to reboot it.