Blew away my partition table

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 29 14:44:16 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, J. Epperson wrote:

> Arrived home very tired and in a lapse of judgement tried to configure a
> new USB backup drive on my PERC3 based home server, with a new cat roaming
> between me and the monitor.  Created a new partition on the existing
> /dev/sda instead of the new /dev/sdb.  System is still running, and I"m
> doing an rsync to the new drive now.
>
> Can some kind soul help me remember how to repair this surgically instead
> of rebuilding the filesystem and reloading it?  If not, I deserve it.

You just need to revert the partition table change.
If you do not have a backup of the master boot record (LILO would have
one), you can use the df output to estimate the right cylinder numbers.

If you need trial and error to find the boundaries, "tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX"
is a non-destructive test.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:           Prof. Dr. Bernhard Neumair
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Kfm. Markus Hoppe
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598