Blew away my partition table

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Tue Jun 29 14:39:42 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:32:02PM -0700, J. Epperson wrote:
> Arrived home very tired and in a lapse of judgement tried to configure a
> new USB backup drive on my PERC3 based home server, with a new cat roaming
> between me and the monitor.  Created a new partition on the existing
> /dev/sda instead of the new /dev/sdb.  System is still running, and I"m
> doing an rsync to the new drive now.
>
> Can some kind soul help me remember how to repair this surgically instead
> of rebuilding the filesystem and reloading it?  If not, I deserve it.

If you know exactly how the previous partitions were laid out, you can
just recreate that structure.

The underlying filesystem data will be fine.

I'm sure there's a way to glean the partition structure information
from the layout of data on your disk as well... especially if it was
fairly simple (ie, /boot as ext2 and / as ext3 or LVM).

Ray