Where did the RAM go ..

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 28 20:17:24 CDT 2010

> Attributes : Total Installed Capacity
> Value      : 16384  MB
>
> Attributes : Total Installed Capacity Available to the OS
> Value      : 15992  MB
>
> 392MB "missing" in this case.

That is interesting, but it seems to be the way Linux works.  On my
64-bit desktop PC:

Memory: 3984968k/4915200k available (4297k kernel code, 788868k absent,
140500k reserved, 2391k data, 396k init)

Not quite sure what all the reserved stuff is for (best I could find
from Google was DMA transfers and things) but it's still quite a sizable
about of memory - all up just over 200MB "missing" for me, and I only
have 4GB total!

Cheers,
Adam.