PERC S300 - can it be made to work?

Duncan Gibb Duncan.Gibb at SiriusIT.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 15:48:08 CDT 2010

Hello

Can anyone give me a definitive statement wrt the status of PERC S300
SATA controller support for Linux?  I found an inconclusive thread on
this list last month:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2010-May/042244.html

and rumour from two months ago that it might be supported by the mpt2sas
driver:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/3474701/

mpt2sas doesn't support it in the binaries we have to hand, and I can't
see how or where in the current mainline kernel source.

I also found people claiming it's hardware-identical to the
fully-working SAS 6/iR controller we thought we were getting (both PCBs
are marked "UCS-61" and look the same to the untrained eye).

Is there a Linux driver of any kind available anywhere?  A JBOD-only
driver that we have to compile ourselves would be absolutely fine.

Is it possible to re-flash the hardware with the SAS 6/iR firmware?

Cheers

Duncan

--
Duncan Gibb - Technical Director