PE2950 + PERC 4e/DC + PV220s for Openfiler

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Tue Jun 15 17:04:05 CDT 2010

On 15/06/10 18:44, Seth Mos wrote:
> Op 7-6-2010 22:55, Collins, Kevin L. schreef:
>> I'm contemplating the above combination for use as a NAS unit to be used
>> by (among other things) vmWare ESXi 4.0. I know there are
>> newer/faster/better things available, but these are the components I
>> have on hand to build the unit.
>
> Not quite the same, but I'm very happy with the 1950 with a SAS card for
> the head unit, A Infortrend A24S sata disk cabinet for the volume and
> NexentaStor for the NAS software.

Seth,

That's a very timely disclosure - we're looking to build a NAS unit
shortly and I have NexentaStor on my shortlist.

I run NexentaStor 3.0.2 at home having previously used OpenSolaris until
Nexenta upped the data size limit for the community edition.

I'm thinking of doing something along the same lines as you have - a
Dell Server (R610), with a SAS card (PERC 700) and an external array of
disks (Promise seem to make cheap enclosures).

What SAS card are you using? Did NexentaStor install OK on the Dell
hardware?

R.