how to find which server to buy

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 12:41:49 CDT 2010

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I want to know how to decide as which server of Dell will be able to
> sustain request to a particular application.
> That is what should be CPU frequency Quad Core or 2 Cpu or RAM .If it
> makes sense then stress testing of a Dell Server for my application.
> Assuming I know the  maximum load of my application.

Err - simulate your application on some other hardware - a desktop PC is
often fine as a starting point, and see when the following things
saturate, and the overall application performance becomes unacceptable
(e.g. latency or whatever is appropriate to measure your application
performance):

. CPU
. RAM
. disk
. network bandwidth

... then do some rough calculations using:

. The figures that you've just got from your benchmarks.

. The approximate difference between your test system, and the system
that you are thinking of buying.

... that should get you pretty close....

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.